What is Jasmine Pearls Tea?
Jasmine Pearls tea, also known as Jasmine Pearl or Dragon Pearl Jasmine, is a high-grade jasmine tea originating from the Fujian province of China. This exquisite tea is created through a meticulous and artisanal process that combines fresh jasmine blossoms with delicate green tea leaves to infuse the tea with a captivating jasmine fragrance.
What are Jasmine Pearls & how do they make them?
Jasmine Pearls are a premium variety of jasmine tea originally produced in the Chinese province of Fujian, but now has become a common tea made by green tea producers throughout the country. They are made from high quality green tea leaves, hand rolled into 'pearls' and scented with freshly picked jasmine buds and flowers from the same region. The scenting process is repeated several times until the pearls smell intensely of Chinese jasmine. The result is a very fragrant jasmine tea commonly referred to as Dragon Pearl Jasmine or simply Jasmine Pearls. The tea is light in color and has a delicate but strong jasmine aroma and flavor. Overall, Jasmine Pearls is an exquisite and unique type of jasmine tea, carefully crafted and highly valued for its intense flavor and aroma.
How Are Jasmine Pearls Made?
- Green Tea Base: Jasmine Pearls begin with high-quality green tea leaves, typically harvested in the spring when they are at their freshest. These green tea leaves provide the base flavor for the tea.
- Picking Jasmine Blossoms: Fresh jasmine blossoms are plucked by hand during the day when they are closed and have the most fragrance. Jasmine flowers are highly aromatic, and this quality is crucial for scenting the tea.
- Layering and Scenting: In the evening, the tea leaves and freshly picked jasmine blossoms are layered together. As night falls, the blossoms naturally open and release their fragrance, which is absorbed by the green tea leaves. This process may be repeated multiple times with fresh jasmine buds to intensify the aroma.
- Drying: After the tea leaves have absorbed the desired fragrance, they are carefully dried. This drying process helps lock in the jasmine scent while preventing the leaves from becoming overly moist.
- Rolling into Pearls: Once the scenting process is complete, the tea leaves are rolled into small, tightly packed pearls. This rolling not only adds to the visual appeal of the tea but also allows for a gradual release of flavor and fragrance during steeping.
The result is Jasmine Pearls tea, a true testament to the artistry and craftsmanship of Chinese tea production. When brewed, the pearls unfurl, revealing the green tea leaves and releasing the enchanting fragrance of jasmine. The combination of the subtle sweetness of green tea and the floral notes of jasmine makes Jasmine Pearls a highly sought-after and revered high-grade jasmine tea enjoyed by tea enthusiasts worldwide.
Recipe: How to brew Jasmine Pearls Tea
Discover the art of brewing high-grade Jasmine Pearls tea, a fragrant delight hailing from the Fujian province of China. With its unique pearl shape and captivating jasmine fragrance, this Chinese Jasmine tea is a true masterpiece of tea craftsmanship.
- Fresh Jasmine Pearls tea leaves (Dragon Pearl Jasmine)
- Fresh, clean water (preferably spring water)
- A teapot or teacup
- A tea infuser or tea filter (optional)
- Heat the Water:
- Start by heating the water to around 175°F (80°C). This temperature is ideal for green tea, ensuring that it brews without becoming bitter.
- Measure the Tea:
- For a standard 8-ounce (240 ml) teapot or teacup, use about 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of Jasmine Pearls tea leaves. Adjust the quantity based on your preference for strength.
- Preheat the Teapot or Teacup:
- Pour a small amount of hot water into the teapot or teacup to warm it. Swirl the water around and then discard it.
- Add the Tea:
- Place the measured Jasmine Pearls tea leaves into the teapot or teacup. If you prefer a cleaner brew, you can use a tea infuser or tea filter.
- Pour the hot water over the tea leaves. Cover the teapot or teacup with a lid or a small saucer to retain the jasmine fragrance.
- Steep Time:
- Allow the tea to steep for about 2-3 minutes. The tightly rolled pearls will gradually unfurl and release their flavor and aroma.
- After the steeping time is complete, carefully strain the tea into your teacup. Alternatively, you can remove the infuser or tea filter if used.
- Savor the Aroma:
- Take a moment to inhale the delightful jasmine fragrance that wafts from your cup.
- Sip and savor your Jasmine Pearls tea. The flavor should be a harmonious blend of green tea's subtle sweetness and the captivating floral notes of jasmine.
- Experiment with the steeping time to adjust the tea's strength to your liking, but be cautious not to over steep, as it may turn bitter.
- You can re-steep Jasmine Pearls tea leaves multiple times to enjoy their flavor and fragrance.
Indulge in the elegance and aroma of Jasmine Pearls tea, a testament to the time-honored tradition of Chinese Jasmine teas. This high-grade tea's pearl shape and captivating fragrance make it a truly exquisite tea experience for any tea enthusiast.